Hand Portraits

Hands tell the life story of their owners with just a glance. I take casts of people's hands to perfectly preserve moments in time, right down to their fingerprints and any interesting scars or calluses they may have accumulated along the way.

This is a hand portrait of an elderly mother (my wife's grandmother) and her two daughters, done in bronze. She passed away just 3 weeks after I took this casting. We all miss her terribly, and these hands now serve as a link between the generations, a new family heirloom that helps us continue to feel close to her.




A portrait of two newlyweds, done in plaster.


This is a bronze hand portrait of my mother and my two sisters.

A handcast of my father, myself and my brother


I could do baby hands and feet all day long. Don't get me started about the cuteness factor.





A flower vase I made for my wife - plaster hands on a hollow alabaster base.

1 comment:

javachip said...

Hi I'm an art student at UC Irvine, and I'm taking a sculpture class where our newest assignment is to use plaster or cement. I really wanted to do something with hands or feet but wasn't sure how to go about making a detailed cast of them. May I ask how you did it? Your work is absolutely lovely by the way. :)